Press & Public: In the News
- National Council Holiday Video is refrenced in Politico Pulse article, December 20, 2011.
Article on Congressional action and updates features National Council video that urges members to ensure Congress protects behavioral health funding.
- Access, Integration Top Priorities for Adults with Mental Illness
featuring a quote from Chuck Ingoglia about increasing access to mental health services, November 2011.
Article in State Health Watch discusses efforts to increase access to mental health services for those on Medicaid.
- Include Mental Health, Addiction Providers in Meaningful Use Incentives
featuring an by Chuck Ingogila about the Health IT Act, July 20, 2011.
Article in I-Healthbeat and Huffington Post discusses efforts of National Council to ensure the behavioral health field is included in this law.
- Mental Heath First Aid Editorial
featuring an editorial by the Arizona Daily Star, July 17, 2011.
Article discusses Mental Health First Aid and how it can increase literacy on mental illness.
- Mental Health First Aid Course Removes Stigmas Associated with Mental Illness
featuring quotes from Meena Dayak about Mental Health First Aid, May 19, 2011
EMS World discusses aims of Mental Health First Aid program and its action plan.
- Getting Someone to Psychiatric Treatment Can Be Difficult and Inconclusive
featuring quotes from Linda Rosenberg about mental illness in the New York Times, January 19, 2011
New York Times quotes Linda Rosenberg about challnges in indentifying and treating those with mental illness.
- Shooting in Tucson sparks interest in 'mental health first aid' courses
featuring an article the Washington Post about Mental Health First Aid and quotes from Meena Dayak, January 17, 2011
The Washington Post quotes Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Meena Dayak about Mental Health First Aid program in the aftermath of the shooting in Tucson, AZ.
- Behavioral health facilities seek to be included in meaningful use incentive payments
featuring an article with quotes from
- Local Guidance Center Losing Leader
featuring an article with quotes from Jeannie Campbell about Pete Kennemer's retirement in Times Record, September 20, 2010
Newspaper in Fort Smith, AR extensively quotes National Council Executive Vice President, Jeannie Campbell about legacy of board member and behavioral health organization CEO, Pete Kennemer.
- Court refuses to toss out lawsuit by South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC)
featuring an article with quotes from SMOC in the Metrowest Daily News, September 10, 2010
Behavioral health organization in Framingham, MA is referenced in an article about ruling on a lawsuit it brought against the town for attempting to block attempts to build new center for those recovering from addictions.
- Mental Health Providers Excluded from Health IT Incentives
featuring quotes from Chuck Ingogila on Medsphere's website, July 27, 2010
National Council Vice President, Public Policy, Chuck Ingoglia were quoted on the subject of mental providers currently being excluded from receiving federal funds for electronic health records.
- Better Community Services Can Aid Mental Health Fix
featuring an article by Ellice P. Martin and Tod Citron in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, July 21, 2010
Ellice P. Martin, president of the Georgia Association of Community Service Boards, and Tod Citron, executive director of the Cobb and Douglas Community Service Boards in Smyrna, GA argue, in an opinion article, for better community mental health services in the state of Georgia.
- Medicaid Stalemate Tests Cash-Strapped States
featuring a reference to National Council member, Suzanne Legander in The Wall Street Journal, July 13, 2010
Chief Executive of Stand Together and Recover Centers, discusses the difficulties in expanding while Medicaid funding is in limbo because of a Congressional stalemate.
- Mental Health Service Struggles
letter to the editor from Jim Gaynor in Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Winchester Star, May 29, 2010
President and CEO of Grafton, Jim Gaynor, discusses implications of the new healthcare reform law for behavioral health providers in Virginia and encourages the VA state government to continue funding behavioral health services.
- Mental Health Parity
letter to the editor from Linda Rosenberg in New York Times, May 11, 2010
that seek to ensure insurance coverage for behavioral health treatments.
- Reform is a "game changer"
featuring an interview with Linda Rosenberg in Behavioral Healthcare Magazine, April 2010.
National Council President and CEO, Linda Rosenberg offers perspectives on how healthcare reform will change the delviery of mental health and addictions treatment.
- New Federal Law Provides Equal Treatment for Mental and Addiction Disorders
featuring an article by Charles Ingoglia in the Kent Center's newsletter, Winter/Spring 2010.
- ESPN article on mental health
featuring National Council Psychiatric Leader, Dr. J. Craig Allen's expert comments, March 6, 2010.
Article cites National Council and Dr. Allen as mental health resources.
- New U.S. rules set parity for mental health care
featuring an article in Reuters, January 29, 2010.
Article quotes Linda Rosenberg about new parity rules.
- Hope for People with Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders
featuring an article by Linda Rosenberg on HealthNewsDigest.com, December 28, 2009.
ental illness and substance use.
- Ruling gives the mentally ill a chance to live with dignity
featuring a guest editorial by Linda Rosenberg in New York Daily News, October 6, 2009.
National Council President and CEO, Linda Rosenberg guest writes an oped about recent court ruling in New York about adult homes for mentally ill.
- A Cycle of Promises Not Kept
featuring reference to Linda Rosenberg in New York Times, September 8, 2009.
Testimony from National Council, President and CEO, Linda Rosenberg is cited in article about a recent federal court ruling that bans State of New York from warehousing those with mental illness in adult homes when they can live independently with some assistance.
- Is Substance Abuse Treated Adequately in Reform Bills?
featuring comments from Chuck Ingoglia in Psychiatric News, August 21, 2009.
- Conference urges providers to stay relevant in the face of economic and social changes
featuring a conference report in Mental Health Weekly, April 13, 2009.
- NAMI Report Card on mental health
featuring comments from Linda Rosenberg in The Huffington Post, March 13, 2009.
National Council President and CEO reacting to 2009 NAMI report on the state of mental healthcare in the US.
- Spring offers hope of breaking winter blues
featuring Linda Rosenberg in The Tribune Star (Terre Haute, IN), March 11, 2009.
National Council President and CEO talks about the hope spring offers for people's confidence and possibly the economy.
- Parity at last
featuring interview with Chuck Ingoglia in Behavioral Healthcare Magazine, November 2008.
National Council Vice President of Public Policy and Practice Improvement discusses the recent passing and signing of the mental health and substance use parity bill.
- National Council initiative helps agencies improve access to mental health services
featuring interviews with Linda Rosenberg, Noel Clark, and Faith Richie in Mental Health Weekly, October 28, 2008
National Council and member CEOs provide insights into how they are increasing access to mental health and addictions services in tough times through the application of proven business models and process improvement techniques.
- Money woes, other stresses bring unwanted physical response, featuring an interview with Linda Rosenberg in USA Today, September 17, 2008.
National Council President and CEO provides tips on what you can you do to fight the surge of high anxiety and avoid the physical fallout of increasing stress in challenging times.
- Equal teatment: mental illness is a chronic disease, by Linda Rosenberg, in The Washington Post, March 25, 2008.
In a special supplement on chronic disease, National Council President and CEO emphasizes that it is only when mental illness is placed on an equal footing with other chronic diseases that millions of Americans can recover.
- Community providers take message of accountability to Capitol Hill, featuring interviews with Linda Rosenberg, Chuck Ingoglia, and Kenny Whitlock, in Mental Health Weekly, March 24, 2008.
National Council executives and Executive Vice President of the Mental Health Council of Arkansas put community mental health on Congress radar screen and highlight the importance of data collection.
- Addictions, mental health must join forces, by Linda Rosenberg and Pat Bridgman, in Addiction Professional, March-April 2008.
National Council President and CEO and Associate Director of the Ohio Council of Behavioral Healthcare Providers describe how we can strengthen public perception that freedom from addiction and mental illness is integral to overall health and gain momentum in our advocacy for parity.
- Brain drain, featuring an interview with Chuck Ingoglia, in Modern Healthcare, February 18, 2008.
The National Council's Vice President, Public Policy, describes how the VA is luring away workers from community behavioral health organizations through better pay and multiyear signing bonuses.
- Behavioral health and Medicaid cuts
featuring an op-ed by a National Council Member CEO, Oct. 27, 2011
Op-ed in The MetroWest Daily News in Framingham, MA by Vic DiGravio, president and CEO of the Association for Behavioral Healthcare in Natick and board member of the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare urges caution by the Congressional leades when considering cutting funds for Medicaid.
- We must take care of those most in need
featuring an op-ed by a National Council Member CEO, May 21, 2011
Op-ed in the State Journal-Register in Springfield, IL by Jan Gambach, president of Mental Health Centers of Central Illinois and system administrator for behavioral health for Memorial Health System calls for preserving funding for behavioral health programs in the state of Illinois.
- PCPA Executive Returns to Comcast Newsmakers
featuring a video of PCPA, Executive Director George Kimes on Comcast Newsmakers, February 14, 2011.
The head of the Pennsylvania Community Providers Association discusses the effects of budget shortfalls, regulations, and outpatient services.
- Giving First Aid to those with Mental Illness
featuring an article in the Arizona Daily Star about member organization's efforts to promote Mental Health First Aid, February 3, 2011.
National Council member, Community Partnership of Southern Arizona is stepping up Mental Health First promotion after Jan 2011 mass shooting in Tucson, AZ.
- Clinics For People With Mental Illness Treat The Whole Patient
featuring an article in the Chicago Tribune about whole health collaboration with Thresholds and the University of Illinois College of Nursing, December 18, 2010.
National Council member, Thresholds works to treat both physical and mental health issues of its consumers by partnering with nursing college.
- Impact of state budget cuts featured on 60 Minutes.
featuring a reference to National Council member on 60 Minutes, December 19, 2010
National Council member, Lutheran Services of Illinois mentioned in 60 Minutes segment about impact of state budget cuts.
- DC family working to reunify with Youth Villages’ help
featuring a profile of National Council Member, Youth Villages in Washingotn Post, September 5, 2010
National Council member in Washington DC is referenced in an article about family that received services from Youth Villages.
- Alcohol Screening Takes Place at Cowley College
featuring quotes from National Council member in Kansas, Cowley County Mental Health & Counseling Center in the Mental Health Times, July 2010
National Council member is mentioned in news letter article about their program of screening for alcohol abuse aamong students at Cowley College.
- Ruling on Housing for Mentally Ill Is a Step Forward
featuring letters to the editor from Ira Burnim and Peter C. Campanelli in New York Times, September 17, 2009.
Ira Burnim, Legal Director of the Bazelon Center and CEO of Institute for Community Living, Peter C. Campanelli, comment on recent court ruling in New York that calls for an end to the warehousing of the mentally ill.
- Mental health nonprofit facing budget shortfall
- Reform must include mental health, featuring an op-ed by Louis Josephson, June 27, 2009
Louis Josephson, CEO of Riverbend Community Mental Health, Inc. in Concord, NH calls for any healthcare reform plan to include coverage for mental health and addiction treatment.
- Don't cut off caregivers, featuring an op-ed by William J. Taylor, February 26, 2009.
William J. Taylor, President and CEO of Advocates, Inc. in Framingham, MA fights to stop essential budget cuts to state mental health funding.
- We need to talk, featuring an op-ed by Mary Monnat, February 16, 2009.
Mary Monnat, President and CEO, Life Works NW in Portland, OR urges more funding for mental health services.
- Congratulations to 2008 Behavioral Health Champions, all National Council members: Scott M. Bock, President-CEO, Riverside Community Care; Michael D. Flora, MBA, MAEd, LCPC, LSW, President-CEO, Ben Gordon Center; Dennis R. Jacobs, PhD, President-CEO, New Passages Behavioral Health & Rehabilitation Services; Carol Luna-Anderson, PhD, LPCC, Executive Director, The Life Link ; Sam Tsemberis, PhD, Founder and Executive Director, Pathways to Housing, Inc.
- Financial anxiety, featuring Abby Morris, on Channel 9 News in Washington, DC, September 30, 2008.
Dr. Abby Morris, Medical Director of Threshold Services in Silver Spring, MD, speaks about how to deal with financial anxiety during the current economic downturn.
- Are the mentally ill falling through the cracks, featuring interviews with Dr. Brenda Woodward and Stephen Christian-Michaels, in Pittsburgh Post Gazette, September 7, 2008.
Brenda Woodward, psychiatrist at Mercy Behavioral Health and Stephen Christian-Michaels, chief operating officer at Family Services of Western Pennsylvania speak about the importance of community treatment teams and engaging patients to prevent violent crimes.
- Members of Congress: many veterans issues need to be addressed, featuring an interview with Neal Cash, in Sierra Vista Herald, September 7, 2008.
CEO and President of Community Partnership of Southern Arizona, emphasizes the importance of post-deployment mental healthcare for veterans, and points out that much more needs to be done to meet the need.
- The new face of behavioral healthcare, by Topher Hansen, JD, in Prairie Fire, August 2008.
President of the Nebraska Association of Behavioral Health Organizations and Executive Director of CenterPointe describes the need for integrated, consumer-centered health services in our communities.
- Community-grown Health IT, featuring interviews with Jeremy Nelson and Jim Riley, in Government Health IT, July 2008.
Chief Information Architect of Washtenaw Community Health Organization and the Chief Information Officer at the Oakland Community Mental Health Authority describe how Michigan's mental health agencies are developing EHRs through a collaborative approach.