Policy Issues & Resources: Economic Recovery
On February 16, 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). Among other provisions, the ARRA provides $87 billion to increase the federal medical assistance percentage (FMAP) for state Medicaid programs, over $19 billion to support the adoption and utilization of health information technology, and increased funding for housing, education, and the Social Security program.
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technologies (ONC) is creating a defintion of "meaningful use" as it will apply to health IT. The definition will inform everything the ONC does related to health IT including product verification, funding, and technical support. The National Council is working to ensure the definition will include behavioral health and addiction treatment providers.
Recent News I Fact Sheets I Official Letters I Federal Resources I
Additional Resources I
For additional information about health information technology, please see the HIT page of our website.
- States Must Write to Officially Request Extra Medicaid Money, Says HHS
- House Passes FMAP Extension; Obama Signs into Law
- Senate Votes to Approve Scaled-Back Extension of Medicaid Assistance
- Fact Sheet on the importance of enacting an extension to the FMAP increase
- Fact Sheet and FAQs on the HIT Extension for Behavioral Health Services Act of 2010
- FAQs on Meaningful use IFR
- Fact Sheet on the need for including community mental health & addiction services providers in federal HIT funding initiatives
- Education and Workforce Provisions of the ARRA
- Medicaid Provisions of the ARRA
- Health Information Technology Provisions of the ARRA
- Other Provisions of Interest of the ARRA
- Letter from the National Council and 18 national mental health organizations in support of extending the FMAP increase
- Letter to Rep. Patrick Kennedy in support of the HIT Extension for Behavioral Health Services Act of 2010
- National Counil and Netsmart Technologies submitted Comments on the definition of "meaningful use"
- Members of Congress wrote a Letter to Secretary-Designate Sebelius urging inclusion of CBHOs in discretionary HIT funding
- National Council, SATVA, and NAPHS sent a Letter to Chairman Baucus to Ensure CBHOs are included in any federal HIT funding
- CMS Fact Sheet with information on the Final Rule for "Meaningful Use" of Health Information Technology
- HHS Launches Recovery Funding Page on Website
- CMS Guidance on FMAP Increase
- Federal Updates on Recovery Activities
- SSA Brochure on One-Time Payments to SSI Beneficiaries
- Dept. of Education Guidance on ARRA IDEA Funding for Services for Children and Youth with Disabilities
Online Resource of State Recovery Websites
- Executive Summary: HIT Joint Survey
- National Council Created a Model Letter for Members to Send to Key Congressmembers in Support of Including CBHOs in Federal HIT Initiatives
- Kaiser Family Foundation Fact Sheet on FMAP Increase
- Council of Nonprofits Resource on ARRA Grant Funding