Press Releases: Topical Index of Releases
Browse by topic for recent National Council press releases, advisories, reports and findings on mental health and addictions issues.
For media enquiries, contact 202.684.3728 or Communications@thenationalcouncil.org.
Mental Health-Addictions in the News
- Reintegration & Welcome Back Awards recognize excellence in mental health.
- National Council Awards of Excellence recognize contributions to Mental health and addictions treatment.
- A-List Speakers Headline 2013 National Council Conference, April 8-10
- Kathleen Sebelius will keynote the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare’s conference.
- National Council for Behavioral Health partners with myStrength.
- President Obama calls for Mental Health First Aid in gun control proposal.
- National Council introduces Youth Mental Health First Aid on Lady Gaga’s Born Brave bus tour.
- National Council will partner with Lady Gaga's Born this Way Foundation.
- New report highlights behavioral health needs of veterans.
- Key addition to National Council team.
- Statement on Supreme Court ruling of healthcare law.
- National Council to honor seven individuals and organizations in behavioral healthcare at Awards of Excellence Celebration.
- 16 people to receive Reintegration Awards at National Council Conference in Chicago.
- National Council Conference taking place in Chicago, April 15-17.
- Welcome Back Awards recognize outstanding contributions in the fight against Depression.
- National Council Magazine directs national attention on trauma.
- National Council elects a new Board Chair.
- National Council announces new VP, Health Information Technology.
- ‘Changemakers’ recognized at National Council’s 2011 Awards of Excellence.
- New directions in addictions and mental health services explored at National Council Conference, May 2-4, in San Diego.
- Survey finds behavioral health professionals earn less than fast food workers.
- National Council statement on Arizona tragedy.
- National Council Wins Technical Assistance Center to improve whole health of persons with mental-addiction disorders
- National Council commends formation of National Action Alliance to Prevent Suicide
- National Council presents 2010 awards of excellence in community behavioral health
- Emergency grants and Mental Health First Aid training available to meet mental health needs after Haiti earthquake
- Mental health partners with primary care to address whole health of patients
- Survey finds mental health services hit hard by state budget cuts
- HIT funding fails to address mental illnesses and addiction disorders
- Craigslist founder donates $15,000 to National Council’s Project Helping Hands
- National Council confers 2009 awards of excellence in mental health and addictions
- Report calls for new healthcare home to address health disparities for persons with mental illness
- NAMI gives American mental health system an overall grade of a D
- Helping veterans overcome stigma of mental illness
- Money woes cause wave of stress, anxiety
- Survey reveals positive outcomes from treating addictions
- Magazine examines veterans’ struggles with mental health and addiction disorders
- States must expand access to treatment for mental illness and addiction disorders
- State healthcare reforms for uninsured fail to address high percentage of mental illness and substance use disorders
- Illinois campus tragedy—mental health experts available for interviews
- Help for veterans' mental health
- Statement on Virginia Tech shootings
- Mentally ill don't belong in jails
- Mental health and addictions providers in New Orleans face soaring caseloads and challenges two years after Hurricane Katrina
- Two years after Katrina, findings from a survey of mental health and addiction providers in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana
On Capitol Hill
- Crucial mental health legislation to be considered next week.
- Reps. Matsui and Lance Introduce Excellence in Mental Health Act in House.
- Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich) introduces the Excellence in Mental Health Act.
- Congress urges Biden’s gun violence taskforce to push Mental Health First Aid and Excellence in Mental Health Act.
- Biden’s Gun Control Task Force urged to make access to mental health care easier.
- National Council honors as Legislators of the Year.
- Advocates gather on Capitol Hill for National Council ‘Hill Day’
- National Council calls on Super Committee to preserve Medicaid.
- National Council urges Congress to support mental health, addiction disorders during 2011 Hill Day.
- Capitol Hill offers first aid for mental health.
- State cuts to mental health take their toll, providers testify at Congressional briefing.
- The National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD) will hold briefing on Capitol Hill on Feb. 16 to release survey results.
- Senators Stabenow and Reed introduce Excellence in Mental Health Act
- Advocates and Legislators Call for Averting Crises
- New House bill seeks federal status for mental health and addictions safety net
- National Council outlines priorities for Hill Day
- Se. Stabenow and 2010 Legislator of the Year awards
- National Council calls on Congress to support Behavioral Health IT Act
- National Council endorses strict enforcement of mental health parity law
- New federal law to combat postpartum depression enaacted as part of health insurance reform
- President Obama backs National Council position on new federal definition for community mental health providers
- Parity rules promise better coverage for persons with mental and addiction disorders
- Senators urge support to Implement Mental Health-Addictions Parity
- National Council calls on Congress to protect substance aAbuse prevention programs in schools
- Congress proposes to strengthen community mental health and addictions treatment
- Honoring Rep. Patrick Kennedy and 2009 Legislators of the Year
- Mental health and addictions services advocates visit Congress for 2009 Hill Day
- National Council conducts Congressional briefing to highlight America's public mental health crisis.
- Linda Rosenberg appears before Congress to plead for help to save mental health and addictions safety net
- Parity passes with bailout bill, National Council commends advocates
- New Medicare law removes barriers to mental health treatment
- Legislators honored for exceptional efforts to improve lives of Americans with mental illnesses and addictions
- Premature death and disability among people with mental illness: Congressional briefing
- National Council hosts Congressional briefing on stigma of mental illness
- Stigma of mental illness among veterans and public: Congressional briefing
- Measuring effectiveness of mental health programs: Congressional briefing:
- House passes mental health and addictions parity bill.
- House passes legislation to give formerly incarcerated persons a second chance
- New legislation seeks to improve access to community mental healthcare
Public Mental Health News and Programs
Eight weeks to Whole Health: National Council offers WHAM peer trainings
National Council to Help Presbyterian Health develop an integrated health workforce.
Invite your community to particpate in Oct 9 and 11 webinars on Depression and Mental Health for Faith Leaders.
Media Advisory: Clergy Called to Address Mental Health Challenges
Qualifacts donates to Mental Health First Aid in regonition of May is Mental Health Month.
Healthcare organizations in New York focus on mental and physical health services for the elderly
Pilot program demonstrates measureable benefits for people with Schizophrenia.
Study finds that training program helps college students respond to psychiatric crises.
Faith leaders embrace Mental Health First Aid.
Mental Health First Aid helps reduce stigma in the wake of Tuscon tragedy.
National Council selects 10 Groups for new co-occurring disorder learning community.
SAMHSA-HRSA CIHS names new Director of Training and Technical Assistance/Substance Abuse.
CIHS announces new integrated health provider learning collaborative.
National Council launches new collaborative on depression.
National Council selects 21 organizations to participate in
trauma-informed practices learning community.
Community Circles of Care wins Mental Health First Aid award
2011 class for Psychiatric Leadership program chosen
- 20 participants selected for inaugural class National Council leadership program
- 5-day Mental Health First Aid Instructor training in Decatur, GA.
- Webcast on myths of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder
- Sept. 10 marks World Suicide Prevention Day
- Providers use SPQM to demonstrate value of public mental health services
- Free Mental Health First Aid webcasts identify signs of mental illnesses
- Vote now for Mental Health First Aid USA
- National Council Magazine issue on prevention is released
- Helping youth with serious mental illnesses find a life in the community
- William Kyles is new National Council board chair
- Emerging addiction and mental health treatments unveiled at National Council’s 2009 annual conference
- 2009 class chosen for National Council Psychiatric Leadership program
- Psychiatrists mentored to become agents of change and improve community mental healthcare
- Increasing access to mental health and addictions services in tough times
- Mental Health First Aid expands reach across U.S.
- Project Helping Hands offers emergency mental health and addictions assistance for Gustav victims
- National Council website wins international creativity award
- National Council Conference discusses mental illnesses and addiction disorders among returning veterans
- Latest research on cycle of addiction and new medications to be presented at annual conference
- National benchmarks to improve mental health and addictions services
- Mental Health First Aid arrives in the U.S.
- National Council invites submissions for 2008 Awards of Excellence
- Helping Hands: Answering needs in the wake of Greensburg tornado
Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder and Other Serious Mental Illnesses
- Pilot program demonstrates measureable benefits for people with Schizophrenia.
- National Council launches schizophrenia pilot program.
- Bipolar depression impairs day-to-day life, according to survey of patients and physicians
- An avoidable tragedy: the relationship of premature death and serious mental illness
- Ignoring health needs of persons with mental illness proves fatal, National Council calls for comprehensive care
- Gaps in healthcare for persons with schizophrenia
- Schizophrenia and continuity of therapy overview
- Bridging gaps in continuum of care for people with mental illness
- Consensus statement on the continuity of medication therapy for the treatment of schizophrenia and other serious mental illnesses
- Half of mental health patients leaving inpatient facilities fail to transition to critical community-based care
- CATIE Phase 3 compares cost effectiveness of drugs: Providers must have access to full array of medications to treat schizophrenia
- CATIE Phase 2 results endorse individualized care for schizophrenia: Need for comprehensive, community-based treatment and support
Barriers to Treating Mental Illness
- Behavioral health hampered in adopting HIT, survey finds
- Survey finds barriers to veterans and mental health
- Press release: New survey shows product liability litigation may jeopardize treatment outcomes for people with severe mental illness
- Key findings from survey of psychiatrists who treat patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- PSA and safety disclaimer to limit the danger of television advertisements promoting lawsuits relating to the use of antipsychotic medications
Medicare Part D
- Community mental health system reports $304 million in uncompensated costs on Medicare drug benefit
- Testimony calls senate's attention to challenges with Medicare drug plan
- National Council offers unique resources to help mental health providers transition to Medicare Part D