SAMHSA Releases Parity Implementation Resource for States
As attention is gaining around parity and the implementation of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equality Act (MHPAEA), SAMHSA released a resource for states that provides guidance on best practices in parity enforcement. The guide utilized input from seven states and insurance commissioners who identified five primary components that they considered essential for implementation and monitoring of parity:
- Open channels of communication
- Standardization of materials
- Creation of templates, workbooks and other tools
- Implementation of market conduct exams and network adequacy assessments
- Collaboration with multiple agencies and stakeholder groups
Moving forward, SAMHSA is seeking input from other states, stakeholders, and especially consumers, to give their feedback on how parity implementation is working for them. If you would like to submit comments to SAMHSA, the deadline is August 31, 2016.