The Practice Transformation Academy is a year-long program designed to accelerate organizational transformation for behavioral health providers responding to the demand to demonstrate and improve upon the value they bring to clients, payers and communities. Participating organizations will strengthen skills in the areas of project management, quality improvement and performance measurement to adopt high-value activities such as risk stratification and other population health strategies, cost-based value analyses, and alignment of clinical delivery and payment systems.
Through a combination of in-person meetings, practice coaching calls and webinars, the Practice Transformation Academy will foster the fundamental principles organizations need to demonstrate change across departments. As a result of their participation, organizations will create:
- A comprehensive, cross-functional quality improvement and project management strategy.
- A concrete work plan that prioritizes organizational efforts.
- A culture of transformation buy-in amongst internal stakeholders.
- Compelling value propositions through the utilization of data.
Participating organizations will demonstrate quantifiable results through the development and implementation of a Stretch Project. The Stretch Project is each organization’s opportunity to apply the concepts and skills learned through the Practice Transformation Academy. See example stretch projects and outcomes from previous Practice Transformation Academy participants.
For more detailed information, please review:
- Request for Applications for National Council members and the public
- Request for Applications for Care Transitions Network members
Activities: Practice Transformation Leads must commit to participating in the following activities beginning July 2018:
- Orientation Webinar: a virtual meeting of all participants Monday, July 9, 2018 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET to meet other participants and National Council faculty and to review participation commitments and technical assistance events
- Kick-off Meeting: a 1.5-day, in-person workshop for the CEOs or other C-suite sponsors and Practice Transformation Leads
- Stretch Project Implementation: design and implementation of a Stretch Project, with a brief report out on the final webinar at the end of the project year.
- Five (5) Webinars: bimonthly, virtual, interactive seminars
- Five (5) Coaching Calls for Stretch Project Implementation: bi-monthly, one-hour, one-on-one coaching calls with the Practice Transformation Lead and, depending on organizational means, their implementation team or steering committee
- Mid-Year Meeting: an all-day, in-person workshop for Practice Transformation Leads only
- Two (2) Steering Committee Conference Calls: one-hour calls with the steering committees from all participating organizations held by subject matter experts
- Optional Affinity Groups: Group calls focused on specific topic areas facilitated by the Practice Transformation Academy faculty
For more information on program activities, please view the Request for Applications for National Council members and the public or for Care Transitions Network for Serious Mental Illness members.
Application Review Criteria
This is a competitive application process. Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Identification of a Practice Transformation Lead who aligns with the description above and has the capacity to participate in all events
- Support and motivation of Executive Leadership to promote and facilitate change
- Willingness and ability to inculcate practice improvement strategies within the organization
- Organizational commitment to stretch beyond current enterprise and focus on the activities necessary to implement successful practice transformation
- Commitment to the implementation of a Stretch Project with the support of faculty coaching
The participant fee for National Council members is $8,000 and $10,000 for non-members. This fee will cover all travel expenses (e.g., airfare, hotel and ground transportation), faculty costs and meeting rooms. Fees must be received by 5 p.m. ET on Monday, July 9, 2018.
A select number of slots will be offered to Care Transitions Network members at no cost.
All applications are due by 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, June 20, 2018. Applications must be submitted online through the following link: Practice Transformation Academy Application for National Council members and the public. Care Transitions Network members should apply using the Practice Transformation Academy Application for Care Transitions Network members.
Previous Participants include:
- COMCARE of Sedgwick County (Wichita, Kansas)
- Community Counseling Center (Hermitage, Pennsylvania)
- Community Services Group (Mountville, Pennsylvania)
- Mental Health Association of Greater Lowell, Inc.(Lowell, Massachusetts)
- Ocean Health Initiatives (Lakewood, New Jersey)
- Joseph Orphanage (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- The Village for Families & Children (Hartford, Connecticut)
- Centerstone of America, Inc. (Nashville, Tennessee)
- Mon Yough Community Services (McKeesport, Pennsylvania)
- New Horizons Behavioral Health (Columbus, Georgia)
- NHS (Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania)
- Parent Child Center, Inc d/b/a Community Partners (Riviera Beach, Florida)
- Walker (Needham, Massachusetts)
- Way Station Inc. (Frederick, Maryland)
- WestCare Foundation, Inc. (Henderson, Nevada)
- Acacia (Bronx, New York)
- The Mental Health Association of Westchester (Tarrytown, New York)
- The New York Foundling (New York, New York)
- JASA (New York, New York)
- Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services, Inc. (Hicksville, New York)
- Cayuga Counseling Services, Inc (Auburn, New York)
- Bikur Cholim Inc. (Monsey, New York)
- Lexington Center for Mental Health Services, Inc. (East Elmhurst, New York)
Questions about the application or this initiative? Contact Katiri Zuluaga at KatiriZ@TheNationalCouncil.org or (202) 849-4922.