Health Care Reform BASICS
On March 23, 2010, President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) into law. Known as national health care reform, the new law includes many provisions that will impact community mental health and addictions treatment providers. The National Council aims to keep you up to date on news and resources relevant to the rollout of national health care reform over the coming years. Be sure to visit our Capitol Connector blog for weekly updates on all things health care reform.
- Summary Chart of the Health Reform Law: This chart provides an overview of all major provisions of interest to community behavioral health providers. Updated October 2010 to include information about effective dates and levels of funding.
- “Health Reform Hits Main Street” This brief (9-minute) animated video from the Kaiser Family Foundation explains the problems with the current health care system and the changes ahead under healthcare reform.
- Implementation Tracker: View the latest updates on provisions of health reform that will soon be going into effect.
- Full Implementation Timeline: Get details about the exact start date of each major provision that may impact community behavioral health providers.
Fact Sheets and Issue Briefs
- Check out the business cases for mental health and substance abuse disorder treatment
- A Place at the Table: Behavioral Health and CMS’ Physician Quality Reporting System. Dozens of federal quality improvement initiatives monitor services for people with mental health and substance use disorders, many of which were created through the Affordable Care Act. This paper reviews those initiatives and identifies their applicability to behavioral health providers. PLUS: An FAQ on PQRS and other Medicare Incentive programs
- Essential Health Benefits: What Does the New HHS Guidance Mean for Behavioral Health?
- Roadmap for State Associations on how to get involved with major ACA decisions in your state
- Frequently Asked Questions about Health care Reform and the Medicaid Expansion
- Learn how Health care Reform can Improve Care for Individuals Dually Eligible for Mecicaird and Medicare
- Healthcare Reform and Behavioral Health: Responding to New Demands and Emerging Health Crises
- Issue Brief provides key information on the rollout of the temporary high-risk insurance option enacted under health reform
- Healthcare Payment Reform and the Behavioral Health Safety Net: What’s on the Horizon for the Community Behavioral Health System?
- The Uninsured — The Impact of Covering Mental Illness and Addiction Disorders
- Policy brief and full report of the RWJF Synthesis Project, a report on the importance of focusing efforts in health care on individuals with comorbid mental and medical conditions.
Get more information through these websites:
- MentalHealthcareReform.org, your one-stop shop for news and resources related to the behavioral health components of health reform
- Healthcare.gov, the federal government’s website with news and resources on the implementation of healthcare reform
- Families USA Healthcare Reform website covers all things healthcare reform
- Kaiser Family Foundation Healthcare Reform website has great facts and figures on the impact of the ACA
- Robert Wood Johnson Healthcare Reform website provides research, insight, and analysis on key issues affecting health and healthcare in the US