Behavioral Health Advocates Make Waves at Hill Day 2013
On September 16-17, behavioral health providers, consumers, and family members from all over the country converged on Washington, DC to urge their legislators to support a strong behavioral health safety net.
Hill Day 2013 featured a full day of workshops to update attendees on the latest policy development and train them on effective advocacy techniques, followed by a day of meetings with elected officials to urge their support for key behavioral health legislation. Hill Day is a central part of the National Council’s advocacy efforts – and it has tangible results. Here are just a few of the successes this year’s attendees generated:
- 600 attendees showed up, making this the biggest-ever behavioral health advocacy event on the Hill.
- 11 new cosponsors signed on to the Excellence in Mental Health Act.
- 14 new cosponsors signed on to the Mental Health First Aid Act.
- 15 new cosponsors signed on to the Behavioral Health IT Act.
- #HillDay13 promoted a flurry of social media activity that skyrocketed the event to the 13th most popular healthcare hashtag on Twitter that week.
- The first annual Advocacy Leadership Awards (supported by Sunovion) were a smash hit, with four honorees recognized for their outstanding advocacy for behavioral health.
The National Council also thanks our Hill Day 2013 supporters for making it possible to keep this event free for attendees:
- The Echo Group
- Mental Health Risk Retention Group
- Negley Associates
It’s not too early to start getting ready for next year! Mark your calendars for Hill Day 2014, which will take place May 7, 2014 at the Gaylord Hotel in National Harbor. Hill Day 2014 is being held in conjunction with the National Council conference. Visit our conference page to register to and book your hotel for both events.