WHAM: Whole Health Action Management (WHAM) — Preconference Session
Saturday, April 18, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm, and Sunday, April 19, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
Complete the conference registration and choose the WHAM package
Registration rate: $100*
Designed for the peer workforce by the SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions, the WHAM training teaches skills to activate whole health self-management in community mental health centers, health homes, and Veterans Administration programs.
WHAM trained peer providers receive an implementation manual to lead local participants through person-centered planning to set and reach whole health and resiliency goals by engaging in peer support and weekly action plans delivered over an 8-week period.
The primary focus of this 2-day training, which is now available in Spanish, is to teach skills to better self-manage chronic physical conditions, mental illnesses and addictions to create whole health. Participants are introduced to 10 science-based whole health and resiliency factors and learn the following self-management skills:
- Engage in person-centered planning to identify strengths and supports in 10 science-based whole health and resiliency factors
- Write an achievable whole health goal and weekly action plans
- Participate in peer one-to-one and peer support groups to create new whole health habits
- Elicit the relaxation response to manage stress
- Engage in cognitive skills to avoid negative thinking
- Know basic whole health prevention screenings and how to prepare for them
- Use shared-decision-making skills for more engaging meetings with doctors
Who may attend the training?
The training is designed for the peer workforce, but non-peer supervisors are welcome to attend so long as they participate in the WHAM process and support local implementation.
What is included in the training?
- Training Participant Guide
- Weekly Action Plan Pocket Guide
- Implementation Manual
- Training posters
- Training handouts
- National listserv for online peer support network and tips and tools for success
Preconference Session — complete the conference registration and choose the WHAM package.
*This exclusive rate cannot be used with any coupon code.