Hill Day at a Glance
For the second time, National Council Conference includes visits to Capitol Hill as a part of National Council Hill Day. Join us in the largest behavioral health advocacy event of the year.
Prepare for Success: Watch the National Council Hill Day Prep Webinar!
You should be prepared to provide basic information about your organization: number of consumers served and any information about their general diagnostic mix, number of staff, the type of payers that constitute most of your reimbursement, and any other information that might be helpful in giving your legislators an idea of what your agency does. It is a good idea to be able to speak to the major budget/funding challenges you are facing in your state.
Sunday, April 22: Hill Day Policy Institute | 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- This free, half-day preconference university will serve as a shortened version of the annual Public Policy Institute run during Hill Day every year. National Council will provide the latest news about federal behavioral health policy, host advocacy trainings and the policy asks for Hill Day 2018. The content covered in this session will be repeated during the conference workshops outlined below. Attendees are encouraged to attend either the Hill Day Policy Institute or participate in the workshop sessions during conference. The Hill Day Policy Institute is sponsored by Netsmart.
Monday, April 23: Hill Day Track Sessions
B16 – Advocacy 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Meeting with Lawmakers | 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM
- Speakers: Al Guida, Guide Consulting Services; Michael Petruzzelli, National Council for Behavioral Health
- In many instances, participants in National Council Hill Day have never had direct contact with congressional staff members. The goal of the session is to familiarize audience members with the process of making brief presentations on Capitol Hill. In particular, the objective is to enhance the ability of participants to articulate arguments for key mental health legislation.
Tuesday, April 24: Hill Day Track Sessions
C18 – Hill Day Talking Points Review | 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Speakers: Chuck Ingoglia, Rebecca Farley David, Michael Petruzzelli, National Council for Behavioral Health
- Are you ready to meet with your legislators and make the case for our field’s priorities? National Council’s policy and lobbying teams will give you user-friendly background information on our legislative asks, along with a summary of talking points you’ll use on your Hill visits. The team will also highlight key congressional offices to target and messages for you to use.
D14 – Advanced Advocacy: Building Bipartisan Coalitions to Advance Policy | 2:15 PM – 3:15 PM
- Speakers: Catherine Finley, Thorn Run Partners; Michael Petruzzelli, National Council for Behavioral Health
- In the midst of the political chaos, firmly drawn battle lines can make a productive dialogue about behavioral health nearly impossible. But behavioral health is bipartisan. What are the most effective ways advocates can advance the conversation when talking to policymakers? How do advocates position themselves to rise about the noise of partisan politics?
Wednesday, April 25: Capitol Hill Visits | Meetings Times Set up by State Captains
Annual Hill Day State Delegation meet-up: 7:00 AM – 8:30 AM
- During this breakfast meeting, all Hill Day participants will gather to discuss the meeting times and logistics for the day. All Hill Day attendees are strongly encouraged to attend this breakfast.
Buses to Capitol Hill: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- National Council will run buses to and from Capitol Hill on Wednesday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. Buses pick up at the Gaylord National bus loop and drop off one-half block from the Lutheran Church of the Reformation at 212 E. Capitol St. NE. If you plan to depart Washington D.C. on Wednesday, we have also ensured secure luggage storage at the Lutheran Church. Our staff will meet you there to check your bags, answer any last-minute questions, and send you on your way.
- Capitol Hill Visits Meeting Times: Meetings times are made in coordination with your state’s State Captain. To learn more about the times and locations of meetings on Capitol Hill, attend the Wednesday morning State Delegation meet-up at 7am.
- Luggage Storage Center: National Council will provide luggage storage at the Lutheran Church of the Reformation at 212 East Capitol St. NE. The buses to and from Capitol Hill will arrive and depart one-half block from this location. Note: National Council does not arrange or supply travel to the airport. Buses run only from Capitol Hill to the Gaylord Hotel.