American Psychological Association (APA) special reports – For an opportunity to dive into the topic of health equity
Nov 14, 2021
Resources on ways to mitigate health inequities are also available.
- In the American Psychological Association (APA) COVID-19 Special Report Fighting inequity in the face of COVID-19: Psychologists are working to combat the systemic disparities that have led the virus to disproportionately affect people of color and other groups, Stephanie Pappas delves into topics of fear and discrimination, Native communities, Race and the socioeconomic divide.
- In another article, Combating bias and stigma relations to COVID-19 APA examines action steps that can be taken to stop the xenophobia, biases, and stigma that are spreading as it is related to COVID-19. Some of the action steps include: (1) Promote ethical journalism (2) Correct myths, rumors and stereotypes, and challenge those whose language promotes bias, and (3) Portray different ethnic groups in public information materials
- APA has developed a Bias, Discrimination, and Equity Resources page to support behavioral and social scientists, advocates, activists and community serving practitioners during COVID-19.
Some of the topics on this special report include:
- How COVID-19 impacts sexual and gender minorities
- How Psychologists can combat the racial inequities of the COVID-19 crisis
- How to help vulnerable populations now
- Ageism and COVID-19 fact sheet
- Serious mental illness and COVID-19: How to help your patients right now