WHAM is a peer-led training program designed to support people living with chronic physical conditions and mental health and substance use challenges.
Whole Health Action Management
Prepare your peer consultants to improve the health of your clients and counter the high incidence of chronic physical health conditions — such as diabetes, heart disease and obesity — among people living with mental health and substance use challenges with Whole Health Action Management (WHAM).
This peer-led program promotes self-management to create and sustain new health behavior. The WHAM program offers peer services providers the materials, tools and ongoing technical assistance to implement WHAM at your organization. WHAM facilitators are linked to a national listserv to foster ongoing peer support, share tips and tools for success, and provide new resources for peer services and integrated health.
BRING WHAM TO YOUR ORGANIZATION
WHAM trains participants to create and work toward a person-centered goal for new health behavior and participate in peer support to reach their whole health goal. Want to host a training for your staff and volunteers? Contact us to learn more and become a WHAM facilitator today!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Since 2012, more than 3,000 peer consultants in 30 states have received WHAM training in partnership with:
- Community behavioral health centers
- Federally qualified health centers
- Health homes
- Correctional facilities
- Veterans Administration programs
During training, WHAM participants learn to:
- Identify strengths and supports in 10 science-based whole health and resiliency factors.
- Write a concise whole health goal and action plan based on person-centered planning.
- Participate in peer support to create new health behaviors.
- Prepare for basic whole health screenings.
- Use shared decision-making skills and tools for better engagement with doctors.
Use #MyWholeHealth to connect with peers across the country
This training was very informative, fresh and new. I will be able to take some of the information I’ve learned and apply it to my own life. Thank you to all the facilitators for doing a great job!
It was a pleasure to interact with other peers and facilitators. Increased my confidence in future facilitating a WHAM group.