June is Pride Month, a time to support and celebrate our LGBTQ+ staff, members and clients, while reaffirming our commitment to health equity for all LGBTQ+ persons. To help you do that, we compiled some resources and learning opportunities below. Join us as we work to ensure all people have equal access to treatment that reflects the rich diversity of their communities.
Showing Our Support
In support of Pride Month — and to bring attention to the importance of mental wellbeing in LGBTQ+ communities — the National Council joined allies at the historic Capital Pride Parade in Washington, D.C., on Saturday, June 10. Dozens of National Council staff marched along the 1.5-mile parade route in honor of the LGBTQ+ community and in celebration of their accomplishments. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn and use #HavePride365! to join the conversation.
Make a mark throughout the month:
- Advocate for Change: Help us expand access to care for LGBTQ+ persons — sign up for our Advocacy Alerts to receive breaking policy news and subscribe to our weekly newsletter for advocacy insights and opportunities.
- Connect with Experts: Learn how to promote healing and resilience in your organization, for your staff and for the communities you serve by contacting our consultants.
- Explore Solutions: Explore and address behavioral health challenges in the LGBTQ+ community by joining our LGBTQ+ Interest Group, an exclusive member benefit.
- Get Trained: Sign up for Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) to learn how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental health and substance use challenges in LGBTQ+ peers.
- Keep Learning: Access our content and educate others — read our National Council blog and MHFA blog for insight into LGBTQ+ issues and trends.
- Show Your Support: Download and share our National Council graphic or MHFA graphic on your social media channels to show your support this month.
View some of our LGBTQ+ resources:
- How to Find Affirming Care Guide (NEW)
- Access for Everyone: Addressing Health Equity and Racial Justice within Integrated Care Settings
- Intersectional Approach to Tobacco Cessation for LGBTQ+ People: A Masterclass
- Overlooked: Mental Health and Substance Use Among LGBTQ+ Communities
- Wellbeing Wednesdays: Episode 5 — Overlooked: Mental Health and Substance Use Among LGBTQ+ Communities
Download our webinar recordings:
- Developing Culture Champions to Promote an Inclusive and Welcoming Organizational Culture
- Best Practices for Supporting and Affirming LGBTQI+ Youth: Updates from SAMHSA and the Field
- Suicide Prevention within the LGBTQ+ Community — Social Justice Learning Academy Learning Series (September 2022)
- LGBTQ+ Integrated Care Part 1: Providing Inclusive & Integrated Services to LGBTQ+ Individuals
- LGBTQ+ Integrated Care Part 2: Strategies for Supporting the Integrated Care Needs of LGBTQ+ Youth
- CoE Office Hour: Supporting the Wellbeing of LGBTQ+ Clients and Staff: Intersectional and Affirming Strategies
Share Your Story
What are you doing to increase access to substance use and mental health care for the LGBTQ+ community? How are you helping LGBTQ+ individuals thrive? Let us know! Tell us how you, your organization or your staff are making a mark, and we’ll spotlight it in one of our marketing channels!