STATE TOOLKIT: PLANNING GRANTS FOR CERTIFIED COMMUNITY BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CLINICS
On May 20, 2015, SAMHSA released a Request for Applications for Planning Grants for Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics, a new designation for community-based behavioral health organizations that will deliver intensive, person-centered, multidisciplinary, evidence-based screening, assessment, diagnostics, treatment, prevention, and wellness services. This includes 24/7 crisis response and peer support services.
State applications are due to SAMHSA on August 5, 2015. This toolkit is designed to support states that plan to apply and includes:
- Expanded Summary of the Request for Applications, which is a detailed summary of the award amount, timeline, opportunity summary, budget considerations, data collection and performance measures.
- Proposal Outline and Application Guide, which includes a Project Narrative Outline designed to assure states are fully responsive to the RFA, and Planning Phase Budget and Support Documents section which compiles guidance from the RFA related to the budgets and attachments.
- State Planning Considerations, which outlines key questions and steps for states to undertake as part of developing a compelling grant application.
- Sample Grant Writing Work Plan for states to mark key milestones in the application development process.
- Engagement Suggestions for ways to utilize mental health and substance use treatment associations to support planning grant activities.
- Sample CCBHC 101 PowerPoint for internal and external stakeholder education and engagement. Access a PDF or PowerPoint version.
- CCBHC Certification Criteria Readiness Tool, which can be used on both an individual and a statewide basis to identify areas requiring training and technical assistance. Access as an E-Form or a PDF.
- Sample Score Sheet for self-assessment of your state grant application. This self-assessment tool was developed on behalf of the National Council and should not be considered the tool that SAMHSA will be using.
- SAMHSA’s Request for Applications, Part 1 and Part 2.
- SAMHSA’s Certification Criteria for CCBHCs
- CMS’s Prospective Payment System Guidance
- To suggest additions to this toolkit, submit questions, or solicit ideas on how to approach your state planning grant, contact Chuck Ingoglia, Nina Marshall, or Rebecca Farley with the National Council for Mental Wellbeing, or visit www.thenationalcouncil.org.