- Trauma-Informed Care in Primary Care: A Literature Review. A summary of existing research on trauma-informed care from Kaiser Permanente and the National Council for Behavioral Health (2017).
- Trauma-Informed Care in Behavioral Health a Treatment Improvement Protocol. A treatment improvement protocol for implementing trauma-informed care from SAMHSA (2014).
- Adverse Childhood Experiences. Information and research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2016).
- How Childhood Trauma Affects Health Across a Lifetime. Video presentation on the effects of childhood trauma by pediatrician Dr. Nadine Burke Harris (2014).
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence Checklist. A tool to review trauma related documents for cultural and linguistic competence by Suganya Sockalingam, PhD, from Change Matrix LLC (2017).
- Why trauma informed care and culturally competent care are one and the same. PowerPoint slides identifying principles by Suganya Sockalingam, PhD, from Change Matrix LLC (2017).
Change Management Strategies: Create the Conditions for Change
- Trauma-Informed Primary Care Implementation Guide: Using FOCUS-PDSA to Manage Organizational Change. Workbook and toolkit for adopting trauma-informed approaches in primary care by Dr. Anthony Salerno (2018).
- Trauma Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment Issue Brief. Issue brief describing a trauma-informed approach to Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) from the Institute for Child and Family Well-Being (2017).
- Trauma-Informed Care Agency Self-Assessment. Agency self-assessment from Trauma Transformed (2013).
- Trauma-Informed Care Organizational Self-Assessment. Organizational self-assessment to guide planning and implementation efforts by Linda Henderson-Smith.
- Trauma-Informed Initiative Alignment Tool. Organizational tool to assess alignment of trauma-informed initiatives with existing organizational priorities and projects (2018, in development).
- The Business Case for a Trauma-Informed Approach. Literature review summarizing the existing research to support the development of a business case for trauma-informed approaches.
- Making Leadership Happen White Paper. White paper explaining the application of a whole systems approach to leadership by Cynthia McCauley, Center for Creative Leadership (2014).
Change Concept 1: Help All Individuals Feel Safety, Security and Trust
- Agency Environmental Scan for Trauma-Informed Care. Assessment for measuring components of a trauma-informed environment from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2019).
- Creating Cultures of Trauma-Informed Care: A Self-Assessment and Planning Protocol. Self-assessment and planning tool for creating a trauma-informed culture by Roger D. Fallot and Maxine Harris (2009).
- Creating Cultures of Trauma-Informed Care: Program Fidelity Scale Instruction Guide. Creating cultures of trauma-informed care scale instruction guide from Community Connections (2015).
- Client Feedback Survey. Feedback survey for clients from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2019).
- Client Feedback Survey for Children and Adolescents. Feedback survey for children and adolescent patients from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2019).
Reports and Papers
- Key Ingredients for Successful Trauma-Informed Care Implementation. White paper on key components of trauma-informed care from the Center for Health Care Strategies, Inc. (2016).
- Creating a Safe and High-Quality Environment. Book chapter on creating safe and high-quality spaces from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2008).
Universal Education, Posters and Signage
- Inspirational and Positive Messaging Signage. Inspirational office signage for purchase from Healthcare Inspirations (2018).
- Hope Beyond Hurt Poster. Poster on hope, trauma and toxic stress from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2014).
- Hope Beyond Hurt Poster (in Spanish). Poster on hope, trauma and toxic stress in Spanish from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2014).
- Universal Education Resources and Tools. Universal education materials and resources for a variety of populations from Futures without Violence (2018).
Change Concept 2: Develop a Trauma-Iinformed Workforce
- An Introduction to Trauma-Informed Care with Cheryl Sharp. Video introducing trauma-informed care concepts with trauma expert Cheryl Sharp by Community Healthcore (2015).
- Helping Children Recover from Trauma. Recorded presentation video with trauma expert, Dr. Bruce Perry on helping children recover from trauma from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2014).
- How Racism Harms Pregnant Women – and What Can Help. Video presentation on how racism harms pregnant women featuring doula Miriam Zoila Pérez from TED (2016).
- Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick? Video series on social determinants of health and trauma from California Newsreel and the National Association of County and City Health Officials (2008).
PowerPoint Presentation Slides
- Trauma-Informed Care 101 Training Presentation. PowerPoint presentation slides for a 2-hour trauma-informed care 101 training from Bread for the City (2017).
- Trauma-Informed Care 101 Training Presentation. PowerPoint presentation slides for a 7.5-hour trauma-informed care 101 training from Bread for the City (2017).
- Introduction to Historical Trauma. PowerPoint presentation training slides for a 1-hour training on historical trauma based on University of Minnesota Extension Historical Trauma and Cultural Healing Program (2017).
Implementation and Evaluation Tools
- Culturally Sensitive Trauma-Informed Care. Tools and resources for implementing culturally sensitive trauma-informed care from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (2013).
- Hotspots for Retraumatization or Activation for Clients Worksheet. Worksheet to help identify and replace traumatizing language and behavior among providers from Trauma-Informed Oregon (no date).
- Trauma-Informed Care Training Evaluation. Evaluation tool to assess impact of trauma-informed care trainings from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2019).
Articles and Handouts
- What is Trauma-Informed Care? Brief handout on trauma-informed care from Trauma Informed Oregon (no date).
- REFLECTED. REJECTED. ALTERED: Racing ACEs Revisited. Article analyzing race and ACEs by Kanwarpal Dhaliwal from Trauma Transformed (2016).
- Transforming Historical Harms. Online book on historical trauma and the transforming historical harms approach from the Eastern Mennonite University’s Center for Justice and Peacebuilding (2013).
Human Resources Tools
Guidelines and Checklists
- Trauma-Informed Care Workgroup Meeting Guidelines. Guidelines for conducting trauma-informed meetings from Trauma Informed Oregon (2016).
- Hiring Guidelines for Peer Specialists. Recommendations and checklist for hiring peer specialists by Lyn Legere from The Transformation Center (2011).
- Human Resources Practices to Support Trauma Informed Care in Your Organization. Practice recommendations for human resources to develop trauma-informed workforces from Trauma Informed Oregon (2016).
- Guide to Reviewing Existing Policies. Checklist guide to reviewing human resources and organizational policies through a trauma-informed lens from Trauma Informed Oregon (2016).
- Policy Guidance for Trauma Informed Human Resources Practices. Guidance document for trauma-informed human resources policies from the Missouri Trauma Roundtable through the Department of Mental Health (2017).
- Interview Questions for Trauma-Informed Care. Trauma-Informed care interview questions from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2019).
- Agency Wide Communication. Handout with considerations for agency-wide communications from Trauma Informed Oregon (2016).
- Developing your Self-Care Plan. Resources and tools to develop self-care plans from the University of Buffalo School of Social Work (no date).
- Attunement and Self-Assessment in Supervision. Checklist and assessment for delivering trauma-informed supervision from Trauma Informed Oregon (2016).
- Trauma-Informed Policy Audit Tool. Tool created to assess organizational policy and provide a roadmap to gauge potential impacts from Trauma Transformed.
Posters and Signage
- Why Trauma Matters in Primary Care. Poster from the National Council for Behavioral Health (no date).
- Language Matters. Poster with trauma-informed language tips from the National Council for Behavioral Health (no date).
- How to Manage Trauma. Poster with tips on how to manage trauma from the National Council for Behavioral Health (2013).
- A Trauma-Informed Workforce: An introduction to workforce wellness. Brief handout on workforce wellness from Trauma Informed Oregon (2016).
Change Concept 3: Build Compassion Resilience among the Workforce
Presentation Slides and Videos
- Addressing Secondary Stress: Strong in the Broken Places. Training presentation slides on addressing secondary stress from Trauma Informed Oregon (2014).
- Addressing Secondary Stress. Video presentation from Trauma Informed Oregon (2014).
- Tips for Self-Care. Poster with self-care tips from University of Buffalo School of Social Work (no date).
- Provider Resilience app. A mobile app by the National Center for Telehealth and Technology to support providers.
- Professional Quality of Life Scale (ProQOL). Assessment scale for measuring professional quality of life from the Center for Victims of Torture (2012).
Change Concept 4: Identify and Respond to Trauma Among Patients
Education and Inquiry Tools
- Connected Parents, Connected Kids. Universal education tool from Futures Without Violence (2016).
- Script Template for Trauma-Informed Inquiry and Education. Sample script for conducting trauma-informed inquiry and education including a script from the Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest, Inc. (2018, in development).
- Suggestions for Trauma-Informed Responses. PowerPoint presentation slides with trauma-informed responses from Jefferson County Public Health Department (no date).
Screening and Assessment Tools
- Staying Healthy Assessment Questionnaires. Catalog of screening tools for a range of ages and in multiple languages from the California Department of Health Care Services (no date).
- Standardized Measures to Assess Complex Trauma. Compilation of tools to measure trauma for a range of ages from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (no date).
- Tools for Assessing PTSD and Trauma. Compilation of training materials and tools for assessing PTSD and trauma from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (2017).
Trauma Specific Interventions
- Addiction and Trauma Recovery Integration Model (ATRIUM)
- Essence of Being Real
- Risking Connection®
- Sanctuary Model®
- Seeking Safety
- Trauma, Addiction, Mental Health, and Recovery (TAMAR)
- Trauma Affect Regulation: Guide for Education and Therapy (TARGET)
- Trauma Recovery and Empowerment Model (TREM and M-TREM)
Change Concept 5: Finance and Sustain Trauma-Informed Approaches in Primary Care
- Trauma-Informed Policy Audit Tool. Tool created to assess organizational policy and provide a roadmap to gauge potential impacts from by Trauma Transformed.
- State Profiles for 50 States and District of Columbia. State-based profiles on current legislative and advocacy efforts related to trauma across all 50 states and the District of Columbia from ACEs Connection.
- Trauma-Informed Care Advocacy Handbook to assist in engaging in advocacy for trauma-informed care by Linda Henderson-Smith, Ph.D.
- Building Community Resilience – Policy and Advocacy Guide
- Trauma-Informed Care Quality Outcomes Crosswalk. Tool to compare trauma-informed care quality outcomes to other existing payers and programs by Virna Little (2019).
- Financing Trauma-Informed Services. Guidance document that explains the financing of trauma-informed services by Virna Little (2019).
- Sustainability Guide Checklist guide to support trauma-informed approaches sustainability by the National Council for Behavioral Health (2019).