2022 Annual Member Insights Report
The enhanced Annual Member Insights Report: Analysis of Form 990 Data, 2018–2020 and Other Sources is part of the National Council’s continued commitment to support the fiscal health of our members. Utilizing three years of IRS Form 990 data, this report provides our members with benchmarking resources and allows others to better understand the intricacies of community mental health and substance use treatment services.
We encourage all our member organizations to use this report to determine how they fare on key financial measures compared to their National Council peers, keeping in mind the unique COVID-19 pandemic context. While this report is just one source of data and pertains to a select percentage of our member base, it can directionally assist our members’ operational efforts.
Key Objectives of the Report
- Objective 1. Offer a general profile of National Council member organizations across a three-year period, from 2018–2020.
- Objective 2. Segment National Council member organizations into cohorts to enable peer-to-peer comparisons specific to financial health and other descriptive measures.
- Objective 3. Provide both internal and external audiences with insights into community mental health and substance use treatment delivery governance and operations.
What’s New this Year
- Three years of financial and descriptive data. Form 990 provides a wealth of information as a snapshot of a single year. To form a better overall picture, it is good practice to review multiple years of data. Moreover, looking across 2018–2020 provides important insight into the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on members’ financial health, workforce and operational excellence.
- Data segmentation to enable benchmarking. Analyses segment data by revenue cohorts, geographic region, rural status and Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic (CCBHC) status to facilitate peer-to-peer comparison and benchmarking.
- Spotlight on full market data. Equivalent data are presented for 2,605 relevant Health and Human Services (HHS)-related organizations designated as health care-related non-profits, mental health and crisis intervention or human services agencies.
Key Market Segmentation
Financial and descriptive data is segmented as:
- Member Agencies by Revenue Cohorts
- Member Agencies by Geographic Region
- Member Agencies within Rural Areas, by Geographic Region
- Member Agencies: CCBHCs, by Revenue Cohorts
- Relevant HHS-related organizations, by Revenue Cohorts
Key Audience Takeaways
For Executive/Leadership/Board of Directors:
- Access a peer-to-peer comparison to understand cohort and sector shifts in workforce makeup, benefit provision and financial landscape.
- Use these data to help describe the experience of treatment organizations in the field, for multiple audiences.
For Finance Professionals:
- Access a peer-to-peer comparison to better understand cohort and sector shifts in revenue and income, income diversification and distribution of costs.
- Benchmark your organization’s growth and financial decision-making across multiple years, including the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For External Partners:
- Gain financial insights based on geography, rural status and facility type and gain perspective into the distribution of contracted services.
Table of Contents
• Inclusion Criteria for Analysis
• Understanding 990 Data
Executive Summary of Major Highlights
Part I. Overview of National Council Membership
• Summary of Association Executives Survey
Part II. Snapshot of Key Sustainability Measures
• Member Agencies by Revenue Cohorts
• Member Agencies by Geographic Region
• Member Agencies within Rural Areas
• Member Agencies: Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics
Spotlight – Market data aligned to top National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities codes
Part III. Additional Descriptive and Financial Measures of Members
• Additional Measures of Member Agencies Segmented by Revenue Cohorts
• Summary of Selected Revenue Measures
• Summary of Selected Expense Measures
• Summary of Selected Staffing-related Measures
• Summary of Selected Balance Sheet-related Measures
Summary of Financial Measures
Want to know more?
Access the Report Now!
*Free for National Council members!
To review our inaugural Annual Member Insights Report from 2021, offering a more limited view of 2018 financial data well in advance of the COVID-19 pandemic, click on the button below.