As health care reform advances and health homes become the norm, behavioral health case managers are in demand — and required to expand their capacity in health care navigation, build on existing skills in health behavior change, and gain a better understanding of the common health problems and basic interventions for individuals with serious mental illness and those with chronic health problems. The National Council’s Case Management to Care Management training is a key strategy to positioning your organization in the changing health care landscape.
Who Should Be Trained in Case Management to Care Management
Case managers in:
- Behavioral health settings
- Primary care settings
- Integrated behavioral health and primary care settings, including health homes
Case Management to Care Management Curriculum
The one-day, in-person Case Management to Care Management training reviews:
- National forces driving change
- Conceptual framework for change: health homes, chronic care model
- The role of case managers in supporting health care navigation
- The physical health needs of people with behavioral health challenges
- Diabetes and heart disease: key issues, key interventions
- Skills to support health behavior change
- Rapid cycle change principles applications for health behavior change, goal planning and documentation
- Self-assessment of individual practice
Following the training, participants are able to:
- Identify current health care trends impacting their role
- Identify the difference between physical and behavioral health care cultures
- Describe strategies to build strong partnerships with primary care providers
- List strategies to help prepare people for primary care appointments and to increase self-management
- Apply basic chronic care principles to managing heart disease and diabetes
- Identify and apply strategies to help people change their health behavior
Why Case Management to Care Management Is Important to Your Organization
Behavioral health case managers’ skills in providing support and linkages have been instrumental to creating a life in the community for many people living with mental and addiction disorders.
More knowledgeable and better skilled case managers can effectively move your organization toward a broader care management approach, applying their experience the new world of health homes, integrated care and more — while providing you with a new marketable service for the broader health care system.
Upcoming Case Management to Care Management Trainings
The National Council can organize a custom Case Management to Care Management training at location and dates of your choice. The custom training price offers significant savings. Ask us how we can bring a training to you.
BH365 blog: “On the Road with Case to Care Blog”