The National Council for Behavioral Health is pleased to open applications for the Practice Transformation Academy (“The Academy”), a one-year program designed to increase participating organizations’ capacity to engage in value-based payment arrangements. With a faculty of national experts in health care finance, quality improvement and value-based payments, the Academy aims to help organizations shift from pure volume-based payment to payments more closely associated with health care outcomes. By incentivizing quality instead of quantity, value-based care advances the triple aim of providing better care for individuals, improving population health management strategies, and reducing healthcare costs.
For more detailed information, please review:
- Request for Applications for the general public
- Request for Applications for Care Transitions Network Members
The Academy is designed to cultivate internal champions to plan for and enact the steps necessary for organizational success in value-based payment arrangements. Through comprehensive technical assistance, the Academy builds capacity for organizations to adopt value-based payments. Participating organizations will gain a better understanding of value-based payment models in behavioral health, quality improvement, data collection and alignment of clinical delivery and payment systems, in order to successfully implement value-based payment approaches. Through a combination of in-person meetings, practice coaching calls and technical assistance webinars, the Academy will foster the fundamental principles organizations need to demonstrate change across departments. As a result of their participation, organizations will experience measurable outcomes, including:
- Cultivation of buy-in among internal stakeholders;
- Development of a committee structure to operationalize transformation;
- Creation of a concrete work plan that prioritizes organizational efforts;
- Establishment of compelling value propositions through the utilization of data;
- A comprehensive quality improvement and project management strategy.
Participating organizations will have the opportunity to demonstrate quantifiable practice improvements through the development and implementation of a Practice Transformation Stretch Project (Stretch Project). The Stretch Project is a unique initiative customized to benefit each respective organizations’ efforts to transition to value-based payments.
Each organization will be asked to select a Practice Transformation Lead who will serve as the internal champion for readiness for value-based payment arrangements. Practice Transformation Leads must commit to participating in the following activities beginning January 2017:
- Academy Orientation Webinar, a virtual meeting of all the participants to meet the other participants and the National Council faculty and to review participation commitments and technical assistance events.
- Practice Assessment Tool an assessment to evaluate organizational readiness for value-based payments (to be completed between the orientation webinar and the kick-off meeting)
- Kick-off Meeting: an all-day, in-person (CEOs or other C-Suite sponsor of all participating organizations must attend this meeting with their Practice Transformation Lead)
- Stretch Project Implementation: design and implementation of a Stretch Project, and report out at end of the project year
- Five (5) Informational Webinars: bimonthly, virtual, interactive technical assistance
- Five (5) Coaching Calls for Stretch Project Implementation: bimonthly, one-hour, one-on-one coaching calls with the Practice Transformation Lead and, depending on organizational means, their implementation team or their steering committee
- Mid-Year Meeting: an all-day, in-person workshop in September 2017 (Practice Transformation Leads only)
- Two (2) Executive Conference Calls: one-hour calls with the CEOs from all participating organizations
Application Review Criteria
This is a competitive application process. Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Identification of a Practice Transformation Lead who aligns with the description above and has the capacity to participate in all events;
- Support and motivation of Executive Leadership to promote and facilitate change;
- Willingness and ability to inculcate learnings within the organization;
- Organizational commitment to stretch beyond current enterprise and focus on the activities necessary to implement successful practice transformation; and
- Commitment to the implementation of a Practice Transformation Stretch Project with the support of faculty coaching.
The participant fee for National Council Members is $8,000 and $10,000 for non-members. This fee will cover all travel expenses (e.g., airfare, hotel and ground transportation), faculty costs, and meeting rooms. Fees must be received by 5:00pm ET on Friday, February 10th.
A select number of slots will be offered to Care Transitions Network Members for free.
All applications are due by 11:59pm ET on Wednesday, January 11th, 2017. Applications must be submitted online through the following link: Practice Transformation Academy Application. Care Transitions Network Members should apply using the Practice Transformation Academy Application for Care Transitions Network Members.
Selected applicants will be notified on or before January 20th, 2017.