What is a CCBHC?
A Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic (CCBHC) is a specially-designated clinic that provides a comprehensive range of mental health and substance use services. The CCBHC model alleviates decades-old challenges that have led to a crisis in providing access to mental health and substance use care.
As an integrated and sustainably-financed model for care delivery, CCBHCs:
- Ensure access to integrated, evidence-based substance use disorder and mental health services, including 24/7 crisis response and medication-assisted treatment (MAT).
- Meet stringent criteria regarding timeliness of access, quality reporting, staffing and coordination with social services, criminal justice and education systems.
- Receive funding to support the real costs of expanding services to fully meet the need for care in their communities.
CCBHCs have dramatically increased access to mental health and substance use disorder treatment, expanded states’ capacity to address the overdose crisis and established innovative partnerships with law enforcement, schools and hospitals to improve care, reduce recidivism and prevent hospital readmissions.
Recognizing the promise of the CCBHC model, Congress in 2020 expanded the original eight-state Medicaid demonstration program to include additional states, and since 2018 has appropriated grant funding to support CCBHC readiness. Today, more than 450 CCBHCs are operating in 42 states, plus Guam. A growing number of states are moving to implement the model – similar to other value-based or alternative payment models – independently via a state plan amendment or Medicaid waiver.
Data & Impact
- Executive Summary: CCBHCs and the Justice Systems (National Council for Mental Wellbeing, 2022)
- 2021 State Impact Report (National Council for Mental Wellbeing, 2021)
- CCBHC State Impact Report Summary of Key Findings
- 2021 Impact Report (National Council for Mental Wellbeing, 2021)
- Impact Report Data Highlights (National Council for Mental Wellbeing, 2021)
- Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics and the Justice Systems (National Council for Mental Wellbeing, 2021)
- CCBHCs: Bridging the Addiction Treatment Gap (National Council for Mental Wellbeing, 2018)
- Implementation Findings from the National Evaluation of the CCBHC Demonstration, 2020
- Preliminary Cost and Quality Findings from the National Evaluation of the CCBHC Demonstration, 2020
- State-specific data may be available in some cases; contact us with inquiries.
- What is a CCBHC?
- Learn more about the two CCBHC funding streams.
- CCBHCs and County Governments
- Learn how CCBHCs decriminalize mental illness.
- CCBHCs: Moving Beyond Business as Usual
- View demonstration program details and requirements on the SAMHSA CCBHC website
- Learn about current legislation and take action to extend and expand CCBHCs