As we continue to grapple with the overwhelming aspects of an international pandemic, people across our nation have taken to the streets, staff meetings and boardrooms to demand change around systemic racism and its devastating effects.
The National Council acknowledges that many of the institutions throughout our country were founded upon and continue to perpetuate systemic racism. Our health care system, including behavioral health is no exception, and is rife with less obvious but deeply insidious examples of these inequities. We must address the persistent behavioral health disparities rooted in systemic racism and work to support our members in improving health care access.
Eliminating disparities will improve individual and community health. As an organization, we have vowed to raise awareness about health care inequities and continue to be committed to providing support to our members as they begin addressing these inequities.
To support you in addressing racial inequities and the associated stigmas that lead to behavioral health disparities and to ensure you have the tools to support your patients and providers, the National Council has compiled this online resource of webinars, tools and other resources with the most up-to-date materials available.
This page will be continually updated as new information becomes available to better serve you and your organization.
Webinars and Upcoming Events
In addition to experiencing disproportionately higher mortality from COVID-19, Black people in this country continue to face daily injustices perpetuated by systemic racism impacting all aspects of their health and mental health. Learn more:
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020 – 3-4pm ET: CoE Office Hours: Addressing Trauma, Racism and Bias in Behavioral Health Service Delivery
- Wednesday, September 30, 2020 – 2-3pm ET: CoE Office Hours: Addressing Trauma, Racism and Bias in Behavioral Health Service Delivery
- Wednesday, October 21, 2020 – 2-3pm ET: Addressing Implicit Bias in Organizational Structures
- Thursday, October 29, 2020 – 3-4pm ET: CoE Office Hours: Addressing Implicit Bias in Organizational Structures
- Resilience-oriented Strategies to Promote Healing around Historical and Contemporary Racial Inequities – View our recording and presentation.
- Looking to promote diversity, equity and inclusion that can be further amplified to your clients? View our recording and presentation on addressing racial equity within your organization.
- Promoting Organizational and Self-care Strategies for African Americans – View our recording and presentation.
- Health Equity and COVID-19 – Addressing the Disproportionate Impact – View our recording and presentation.
Resources and Tools
- Perception Is Everything: The Impact of Implicit Bias in Mental Health & Addictions – A video presentation led by Victor Armstrong, Sr., MSW, director of North Carolina Department of Health and Human Service during NatCon At Home.
- Implicit Bias Module Series – Free training series on implicit bias from Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race.
- Harvard Project Implicit – Workshops and presentations focused on diversity and inclusion, leadership and biases in decision-making.
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) – A collection of resources and perspectives on COVID-19 from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Civil Rights and Social Justice COVID-19 Series – American Bar Association webinar series exploring how the COVID-19 pandemic highlights critical legal issues of criminal justice, civil rights, human rights and economic concerns.
- The Interaction Institute – Facilitative leadership for social change trainings.
- Trauma, Race and the Perils of COVID-19: A Call to Foster Community Resilience – A BH365 blog post.
- Four Ways Culture Impacts Mental Health – A Mental Health First Aid blog post on the impact of culture on mental health.
- Health Justice Strategies To Combat COVID-19 During a Pandemic – An article from Health Affairs.
- Pursuing Social Justice and Supporting Innovation – A BH365 blog post.
- Joint Statement from the National Council for Behavioral Health and the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD) – A pledge to raise awareness about health care inequities.
Need Support? Turn to Our Experts.
Our seasoned health equity experts are committed to promoting healing and resilience in your practice, for your staff and for the communities you serve. The National Council can provide direct training and technical assistance to providers and key stakeholders on topics such as:
- Organizational Infrastructure and Resilience Support around Climate, Culture and Hiring
- Understanding Systemic Inequity and ways to integrate change into your organization
- Trauma-informed Resilience-oriented Leadership and Supervision with a Racial Justice Lens
- Understanding and assessing Social Determinants of Health