The opioid crisis has affected families across the nation. Approximately 10.3 million people live with an opioid use disorder and there were more than 46,000 opioid-related overdose deaths in 2018.
Trauma-informed, recovery-oriented systems of care (TI-ROSC) has effectively supported counties tackling this issue. This model combines two evidence-based frameworks with overlapping shared values and principles that can lead to improved health and wellness for individuals with substance use disorders (SUDs).
How can you create sustainable system-wide change that addresses trauma and fosters recovery for those you serve?
The TI-ROSC Toolkit, supported by the Indiana Family and Social Service Administration and piloted in 14 Indiana counties, is a field-informed resource developed by the National Council’s foremost experts in shaping recovery-oriented and trauma-informed approaches.
Whether you’re looking to understand potential paths for recovery or you want to implement and sustain these approaches, we’ve compiled evidence-based tools, trainings and coaching to help create a more unified and cohesive system of behavioral health care that is available for any Indiana county.
This page will be frequently updated as new information becomes available to better serve residents across the state of Indiana.
Need Support? Request Free Technical Assistance
Counties across the state of Indiana are eligible to receive five free coaching calls with National Council for Mental Wellbeing experts to support implementation, sustainability and fidelity of TI-ROSC in their communities.
For more information and to request technical assistance, contact us today.
Webinars and Upcoming Events
Gain guidance to implement trauma-informed and recovery-focused initiatives, along with scripts, tools, concrete strategies and recommendations for your community. Recordings for all webinars will be available after the live presentation occurs on this page:
- Introduction to Team-Based Care – View recording
- Integration 101 – View recording and presentation
- Self-Care and Compassion Strategies – View recording and presentation
- Trauma-informed Collaborative Documentation – View recording and presentation
- Diversity, Equity and Engagement – View recording and presentation
- Trauma-informed Collaborative Documentation Webinar – View recording and presentation
- Medication-assisted Treatment, Diversity, Equity and Engagement and Provider Bias – View presentation and recordings (part one and two)
- Early Intervention, SBIRT and Harm Reduction – View recording and presentation
- Trauma-informed, Resilience-oriented Engagement – View recording and presentation
- Combating the Opioid Crisis – View recording
- Implementation, County Change Team, Continuous Quality Improvement, and Maintaining Momentum – View recording and presentation
- Recovery Supports, Peers, and Boosting TI-ROSC Awareness and Reducing Stigma – View recording and presentation
Resources and Tools
- Readiness and Implementation Checklist – Supports the initiation and implementation of services and supports for persons with substance use disorders.
- Community Needs Assessment – Environmental scan for your community as it relates to the implementation of a trauma-informed, recovery-oriented system of care.
- Community Needs Assessment Scoring Template – Score responses and readiness for TI-ROSC community needs.
- Initiative Alignment Tool – Designed to assist communities in aligning initiatives related to individuals and families impacted by opioid use disorder and other substance use disorders.
- Key Stakeholders List – Mandatory and recommended members of the County Change Team.
- My Commitment to My County Change Team Creation Tool – Rubric to identify safety and accountability measures.
- Communication Planning Tool – Resource to understand the needs of stakeholders and messaging for leadership buy-in.
- Goal Setting Tool – Rubric to identify and prioritize short-term and long-term objectives.
- Action Planning Tool – Facilitate the identification of SMART objectives for each step in the recovery continuum and across service components.
- SWOT Tool – Tool provides counties and organizations with a detailed assessment instrument to guide a SWOT analysis across the continuum of care.
- Strategic Planning Tracking Tool – Tracking tool for quality improvement to stay organized and timely in implementation and assessment of project objectives.
- Sustainability and Fidelity Action Planning Tool – This tool provides the standards for a fully implemented and sustainable Trauma-Informed, Recovery-Oriented System of Care (TI-ROSC).
- Visioning Tool – Crafting a compelling vision statement.
- MAT Readiness and Implementation Checklist – Determine organizational readiness to implement medication-assisted treatment (MAT).
- Future Systems Development Tool – Worksheet to identify each of the components necessary to meet counties’ unique needs.
- Principles Assessment Tool – Designed to assist systems in examining policies, practices, procedures and outcomes against the trauma-informed, recovery-oriented system of care principles.
- Stigma Reduction Tool – Designed to assist County Change Teams in exploring the beliefs, barriers and strategies to combat the stigma in their community.
- Advocacy Handbook – Guide to advance the changes needed for TI-ROSC to be successful in public policies and programs.
- Crafting a Compelling Story – Useful tips to tell the story of recovery.
The Trauma-informed, Resilience-oriented Screening and Assessment Training Plan establishes basic trainings that all staff involved in screening and assessment processes need to complete before engaging in the progressive process. For training to be effective, all staff should receive general training in the foundations of the following:
- Trauma and Equity 101 – View presentation
- Intergenerational Trauma and its Impacts – View presentation
- Trauma and its Connection to Health and Addiction – View presentation
- Combatting Compassion Fatigue – View presentation
- Creating Safe Spaces for Trauma-informed Engagement – View presentation
- Trauma-informed Physical Assessment – View presentation
- Addressing Crisis in a Trauma-informed Manner – View presentation
- Trauma-informed Peer Support – View presentation